Friday, March 13, 2009

Complacency and Conscience


In the spring, at the time when kings go off to war, David sent Joab out with the king's men and the whole Israelite army. They destroyed the Ammonites and besieged Rabbah. But David remained in Jerusalem. – 2 Samuel 11:1


Do you keep a wartime mentality? Or do you get lulled to sleep, just like me? Spiritually, I get ritualistic and lose perspective on why I am doing what I am doing. Going to church, reading the Bible, praying…I do it and do it with wrong motivation sometimes. Is that just me? Help me bro.



One evening David got up from his bed and walked around on the roof of the palace. From the roof he saw a woman bathing. The woman was very beautiful, and David sent someone to find out about her. – 2 Samuel 11:2-3


I have become thankful that God gave me a conscience. When I was young, I hated my conscience. But I treasure it now. The spiritual conscience is equivalent to the physical sense of pain. Conscience is a huge warning sign for attention and correction. Hansen’s disease (a.k.a. leprosy) is a disease where people lose the physical sense of pain, and cannot realize the damage done to their physical body, even if it is self inflicted. People hurt themselves without even knowing it. Spiritual leprosy is even more dangerous. Do not let your lack of attention to conscience or your habits let you get complacent.



After Nathan had gone home, the LORD struck the child that Uriah's wife had borne to David, and he became ill. On the seventh day the child died. – 2 Samuel 12:15,18



David was lulled into complacency and suffered the consequences. He did not recognize his spiritual leprosy before deadly sin overcame him. Can we use this scripture to warn us?


...

..

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments: