Friday, December 26, 2008

Following The Light

When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." – John 8:12


At Christmas time I love to look at Christmas displays of various sorts. I especially enjoy, I admit, light displays, whether simple or extravagant, around homes and businesses in the community. The sight of abundant light illuminations on bitter cold nights on my way home from a long day at work just warms my heart. I do like to look at lights.

And Jesus is the light of the world, so I look at him. But here is the sharper truth; Jesus is not a light to just look at. Jesus says he is The Light to be followed. There is a huge difference between looking at, and following, a light. We are called to follow Him, not just gaze at him.

It seems that most of the world allows for looking at Jesus; the friction comes when those who trust in Him insist on following in the light and in the steps that He directs. These steps command that we love one another; that we speak the truth in love; and, that we go to the ends of the world to proclaim His name, unapologetically. This would be following Him, not just looking at him.

So, this Christmas and in the future, will we be just looking, or really following The Light?


I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness. – John 12:46